Tuesday, November 13, 2012

PRC unveils video documenting attack on IDF jeep

Popular Resistance Committees' military wing claims responsibility to attack that left four soldiers wounded, releases video allegedly documenting missile hit
(Go to link to watch video

DF soldiers by the Gaza border after the jeep attack, November 10, 2012.Photo by Eliyahu Hershkovitz
Elior Levy, Neri Brenner

Published: 11.13.12, 15:30 / Israel News

The Popular Resistance Committees' military wing released a video documenting the attack on the IDF jeep last Saturday.

The group claimed responsibility for the attack that left four IDF soldiers wounded – one in serious condition, two in moderate condition and one in light condition.

Related stories:

The jeep, which had caught fire, had been moving along the border fence between Israel and the Gaza Strip when it was hit by an anti-tank missile.

The video clearly shows the missile hitting the jeep. An IDF inquiry indicated that during a routine Givati force patrol along the border fence, an anti-tank missile was fired from the Sajaiya neighborhood.

The missile penetrated the jeep and exited from the other side. The IDF responded by with tank fire killing four Palestinians and wounding 20.

The event set in motion a round of violence that saw more than 110 rockets being fired at Israel. One of the soldiers wounded in the attack was discharged from the Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon on Monday.

A statement issued by the PRC's military wing said that the missile that hit the jeep was a guided missile.

"The rules of the game have changed, the Palestinian resistance has increased its capabilities vis-à-vis the enemy," the statement said.

The group stressed it will remain "on the front to protect the Palestinian people" and called on the other factions to respond to "Israel's crimes."

The group further called for the establishment of a joint war room for all the Palestinian factions in the campaign against Israel.


Video: Six-Hour Truce Ends with Rocket on Ashdod

The latest terrorist truce lasted a grand total of six hours, until 6 a.m., when a missile was fired at Ashdod but missed populated areas.

AAFont Size
By Tzvi Ben Gedalyahu
First Publish: 11/13/2012, 7:40 AM

The latest Gaza terrorist truce lasted a grand total of six hours, from midnight to 6 a.m., when a missile was fired at Ashdod but missed exploding in populated or industrial areas and caused no injuries or damage.

Hamas earlier this week released a video of a rocket launch, as seen below.

Ashdod is Israel’s major southern Mediterranean port and home to oil refineries and dozens of oil storage tanks. A direct hit on the port could cause billions of dollars of damage to the economy, and an explosion in a concentrated residential area could result in dozens of deaths.

It is not clear if splinter terrorist groups are violating the self-imposed truce or whether Hamas and other terrorist organizations are testing whether they can occasionally attack Israel without retaliation.

The truce was announced on condition that Israel halt aerial bombings of terrorist sites in Gaza.
Egypt reportedly brokered the truce, but Education Minister Gideon Sa’ar of the Likud party said Tuesday morning that Israel is not involved in any talks with Hamas, whether direct or indirect.

He told Voice of Israel government radio, “We are prepared for attacks and the IDF attacked terrorist sites during the night. There has been a sharp escalation in missile strikes from Gaza the past year.”

Sa'ar said that a large-scale retaliation is “inevitable” but did not state whether there would be a maneuver similar to the Cast Lead counterterrorist operation four years ago.

Gaza terrorists have fired more than 1,000 rockets and mortar shells on southern Israel this year, an average of approximately three a day, including more than 100 downed by the Iron Dome anti-missile system and rockets that misfired and landed within the Gaza region.

In 2011, 676 aerial terrorist attacks were recorded by the IDF.

The number of rocket attacks was approximately half that number in 2009, when the IDF completed its three-week Cast Lead Operation, which ended with a total withdrawal of forces and broken promises by the Obama administration and the European Union to place monitors in Egypt to help prevent smuggling of weapons into Gaza.